Sunday, February 19, 2006

Daggerboard trunk

Tonight I only had time to assemble the daggerboard trunk. A quick sanding on the edges smoothed the mating surfaces for the spacers. Then I mixed up some unthickened epoxy and gave the interior surfaces another coat to fill the weave of the fiberglass. The remaining epoxy I thickened with Cabosil, and spread it on the mating surfaces of both panels. The spacers were put in place, and sandwiched between the panels. It was surprisingly difficult to align everything when the clamps were put on. All the pieces slipped and slided, until the majority of epoxy was finally squeezed out. I then gave the parts one more alignment, shifting clamps as I went. After I brushed off most of the excess epoxy, I brought the part in the house to cure in the warmer air. Total time 51.25.


Post a Comment

<< Home